Position: Associate Teacher of Union UMC Day School
Reports to: Director and Assistant Director of Union UMC Day School
Type of Position: Half Day/ All Year
Minimum General Requirements:
- High School Diploma, plus:
- ECD 101 must be completed at Midlands Tech within 1 year of hire to obtain an Early Childhood credential level One. A TEACH scholarship is available to attend Midlands Technical College and bonuses are awarded for a grade C or higher. Earning an infant/toddler credential is highly recommended.
- Good general physical health and the endurance to work hours required to fulfill the job requirements.
- Ability to see, hear, speak and move quickly.
Preferred Education Qualifications:
- Early Childhood Education/development credentials from an approved Technical College or a Child Development Associate (CDA)
You must meet one of these requirements:
- 6 months experience in a DSS licensed facility and completion of ECD 101 within 1 year of hire, and health and safety training within 90 days of hire
- Related experience and Early Childhood Education (or related) college credentials. Early Childhood Education or Family/Child studies College students encouraged to apply.
The associate teacher is responsible for creating and maintaining a secure, safe, healthy, affectionate and nurturing learning environment and having quality relationships with adults and students at Union UMC Day School.
Responsibilities in an infant classroom include feeding, diapering, reading, singing, and loving the infants. Teachers primarily focus on social emotional skills. Basic care includes diapering, preparing snacks/meals, napping, supervising, educating, inspiring children to help them learn, engaging children in play, teaching children important social emotional skills such as sharing, taking turns, listening, waiting, lining up, etc. Lesson plans are required based on SC Early Learning Standards. Training provided. The associate teacher must be able to carry out the lesson plans created by the lead teacher if needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a safe, nurturing, educational Christian environment for all children
- Assist in the implementation of weekly lesson plans in accordance with SC Early Learning Standards with a play-centered, relationship-based focus
- Assess children’s needs and development
- Engage constructively with individual children during activities and transitions to help them reach their developmental milestones
- Demonstrate effective listening, oral and written communication skills
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop classroom activities and standards such as teaching children to share, express themselves, follow their curiosity, and develop vocabulary
- Provide infants activities to help them build their large muscles
- Sing and read to children with expression
- Manage classroom behaviors through positive reinforcement and appropriate redirection
- Attend all required trainings and obtain required continuing education hours
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by displaying professional behavior to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all students, staff, and parents
- Follow all Day School policies and procedures at all times
- Maintain an organized and clean classroom
- Ensure the safety of the children at all times
- Communicate with the lead teacher regarding concerns
- Experience using Brightwheel app a plus
- Assist the lead teacher in providing interaction with the children in activities that are creative and fun learning experiences, as well as spiritual teaching and guidance. They will focus on the process and not the product when working with students.
- Assist the lead teachers in preparing the daily activities before the children arrive. This includes set-up and preparation of materials.
- Be knowledgeable of all lesson plans and activities and be able to communicate them to classroom volunteers.
- Act as a facilitator to encourage class participation in planned activities at an age appropriate level.
- Be role models for behavior in the classroom and throughout the school.
- Be assigned duties by the director to assist in daily operations of the school. (ie. Carpool, kitchen, etc.)
- Demonstrate compliance with DSS and Union standards in daily classroom procedures.
- Assume the responsibilities of the lead teacher in case of the absence of the lead teacher.
- Be available to assist the lead teacher in contacting the parents of children who are absent after three days.
- Discuss with the lead teacher and/or the director any problems with a child’s behavior, or problems with parents.
- Focus on child interaction and conversations appropriate to age level.
- Keep all areas safe. (Daily visual inspection of all areas utilized, including outlet covers, cleaning supplies, electrical cords, playground equipment, restrooms, etc.)
- Keep a neat, clean and attractive room. Decoration should be developmentally appropriate to the maturity and interests for the students. Displays outside the classroom should be changed monthly. (Wall space will be shared with Sunday school and Day school)
- Assist Teacher with keeping Instagram account current.
- Be responsible for the supervision of the children at all times by sight and sound.
- Report suspected abuse and neglect of the children to the director.
- Promote good health habits and manners at an appropriate level.
- Post health and safety information in their rooms.
- Attend staff meetings which we will be held as needed through out the year.
- Continue to grow professionally by taking professional workshops/conferences/online classes throughout the year and adhering to DSS standards.
- Show professionalism in leadership and supervisory skills and will act as a team player. This includes keeping an open line of communication with co-workers.
- Keep current with information and new trends in early childhood development.
- Be familiar with and follow all Day school policies set forth by the church.
- Follow absence reporting policies.
- Be willing to come in early or stay late as necessary
Preferred Character traits:
- Patient, loving, nurturing, honest, and kind
- Reliable with a strong work ethic
- Excited by the learning of young children
- Creative and full of energy
- Flexible and able to monitor and adjust as needed
- Belief in Christian values to effectively introduce children to the Christian faith
- Good at planning, organizing, and following a daily schedule
Unacceptable workplace behavior not tolerated:
- Drama of any kind
- Continued gossip, grumbling or complaining
- Any unloving behavior towards children to include harsh tones.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $11.15 - $12.00/hour depending on qualifications PLUS Quarterly bonuses
Part-time employees get the following weeks off paid:
- 1 week off at Christmas
- 1 week for Spring Break (aligns with School District 5)
- 1 week off for the 4th of July
- Other federal holidays
- 5 days of PTO (paid time off)
Full time employees get the same paid time off as above plus,
- 4% employer contribution to a retirement account
- $5300 annually placed in a health savings plan
6-hour shift - 8am-2pm
Monday to Friday
Regular cleaning takes place throughout the day. Protocols are reviewed as needed as COVID-19 is fluid.
References: Please provide 2 professional references and 1 personal reference. A letter with their contact information is preferred but names and phone numbers are sufficient.
High school diploma plus ECD 101 (see above)
CPR/FA Certification Required (Training can be provided)
Early Childhood Credential level 1 required (ECD 101) (TEACH scholarship available & bonus earned with grade C or better)
Child Development Associate (CDA) Certification (Preferred) or Infant/Toddler credentials from an approved technical college preferred. Pay is higher with these credentials.
- All Day School staff
- Parents of Children
- Volunteers for Day School Activities
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties as assigned by the Director.